Columbia in Richland County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Blossom Street School / Celia Dial Saxon School
Blossom Street School
Blossom Street School, at the corner of what was then Blossom & Gates (now Park) Streets, was built in 1898 as the first public school in Columbia south of Senate Street. A frame building, it was originally a school for white children. After it burned in 1915, a brick school was built here the next year. Blossom Street became a school for black children in Ward One in 1929 and was renamed Celia Dial Saxon School in 1930.
Celia Dial Saxon School
Blossom Street School was renamed to honor Celia Dial Saxon (1857-1935). Saxon was educated at the Normal School at the University of S.C. 1875-77, during Reconstruction. She taught in Columbia schools for 57 years and was a founder of the Wilkinson Orphanage, Wheatley YWCA, and Fairwold Industrial School. Saxon School closed in 1968 and was demolished in 1974 as a result of campus expansion by the University of S.C.
Erected 2008 by The Ward One Families Reunion Organization and the Historic Columbia Foundation. (Marker Number 40-149.)
Location. 33° 59.526′ N, 81° 1.966′ W. Marker is in Columbia, South Carolina, in Richland County. Marker is on Blossom Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Blossom Street (approx. 0.2 miles away); "Commissioners' Oak" (approx. 0.2 miles away); College Street (approx. 0.3 miles away); Site of Parade Ground (approx. 0.4 miles away); Booker T. Washington High School (approx. 0.4 miles away); University of South Carolina (approx. 0.4 miles away); Lieber College (approx. 0.4 miles away); Pinckney College (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Columbia.
Also see . . . University Libraries. Celia Dial Saxon (Submitted on April 25, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Categories. • Education • Notable Buildings • Notable Persons •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 25, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 834 times since then and 37 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on April 25, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.