San Antonio in Bexar County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
T.C. Frost and the Frost Bank
Thomas Claiborne Frost (1833-1903) came to Texas from Alabama in 1855 to teach at Austin College, Huntsville. Admitted to the Bar in 1856, he served as a Texas Ranger before setting up a law practice in Comanche County. He was a delegate to the Secession Convention in 1861 and an officer in the Confederate Army. For a time after 1865, he ran a freight business between San Antonio and the port of Indianola.
In 1868 Frost entered a partnership with his brother John and M.L. Fitch in a mercantile company located at this site. In 1874 T.C. Frost became the sole owner of the operation, to which he added a warehousing and wool commission business. Because Frost was a trusted merchant with a strong safe, he served as banker for the convenience of his customers. Frost gradually phased out his mercantile and wool interests and developed the service into a general banking business.
The bank acquired a national charter in 1899. Thornton, Wright and Co., formerly Traders National Bank, and Lockwood National Bank merged with Frost. In 1922 Frost National Bank erected this 12-story building on the original store site. The bank moved to larger facilities on west Houston Street in 1973.
Erected 1978 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 2073.)
Location. Touch for map. Marker is near the SE corner of the Municipal Plaza Building. Marker is at or near this postal address: 114 W. Commerce Street, San Antonio TX 78205, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Civil War Centennial 1861 - 1961 (here, next to this marker); The Woll Invasion (a few steps from this marker); General David E. Twiggs (a few steps from this marker); San Fernando Cathedral 200th Anniversary (within shouting distance of this marker); Remains of the Alamo Heroes (within shouting distance of this marker); San Antonio de Padua (within shouting distance of this marker); Reaffirming the Miracle of Our Lady of Guadalupe (within shouting distance of this marker); The Casas Reales (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Antonio.
Also see . . .
1. Thomas Claiborne Frost. (Submitted on April 29, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Frost Bank. (Submitted on April 29, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Education • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 29, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 1,736 times since then and 69 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 29, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.