Dallas in Paulding County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Hardee’s, Hood’s & French’s H’dq’rs.
Site of Dr. Augustus Smith house, 1864.
May 24: Gen. John B. Hood [CS] spent night here enroute with his corps from Etowah River to New Hope Church.
Oct. 5: Gen. S.G. French, [CS] withdrawing from an abortive attempt on the Federal garrison at Allatoona, stopped here enroute to rejoin Hood’s forces at New Hope Church.
Erected 1953 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 110-1.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 34° 1.954′ N, 84° 44.426′ W. Marker is in Dallas, Georgia, in Paulding County. Marker is on Dallas-Acworth Highway (Georgia Route 92) just south of Thornwood Drive, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. The marker is located just south of the Cobb-Paulding County line. It is located in a ditch near the tree line, and can be difficult to see from the road. Marker is in this post office area: Dallas GA 30132, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Wm. Nickols House (approx. 1.7 miles away); Cross Roads Church Site ~ Mason’s Bridge (approx. 2 miles away); Site of Old Allatoona Church (approx. 2.1 miles away); James Foster House (approx. 2.4 miles away); Peters-Davenport House (approx. 3 miles away); Battle of Pickett's Mill (approx. 3.3 miles away); Dallas – Acworth Road (approx. 3.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dallas.
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on May 24, 2017. This page originally submitted on May 1, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,067 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 1, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.