Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Glendale in Maricopa County, Arizona — The American Mountains (Southwest)
 

Murphy Park

Established 1909

 
 
Murphy Park Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, May 4, 2010
1. Murphy Park Marker
Inscription. Originally known as "The Park" or "City Park," Murphy Park has always been the center of downtown Glendale. The park's namesake, W. J. Murphy, established Glendale in 1892 and donated the park to the town in 1909. Residents protected the park as a community space, allowing only a public library to be built here (the first in 1917, a second in 1938, and the current one in 1971). In 1912, patriotic residents installed a 110-foot wooden flagpole here. The tallest flagpole in the state stood until 1964. That same year the Glendale City Council renamed the park for Murphy.
 
Erected by City of Glendale.
 
Location. 33° 32.385′ N, 112° 11.039′ W. Marker is in Glendale, Arizona, in Maricopa County. Marker is at the intersection of North 58th Avenue and West Glenn Drive, on the right when traveling south on North 58th Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is on northeast corner of the J.W. Murphy Park. Marker is in this post office area: Glendale AZ 85301, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Glendale Business District (within shouting distance of this marker); Glendale's Towering Flagstaff (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Robert W. Cole Building
Murphy Park Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, May 4, 2010
2. Murphy Park Marker
Public Library in background
(about 300 feet away); William J. Murphy (about 400 feet away); Methodist Episcopal Church of Glendale Sanctuary (about 400 feet away); Hine Building (about 500 feet away); Sine Building (about 500 feet away); Glendale Townsite (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Glendale.
 
Also see . . .  Historic Downtown Glendale Walking Tour. This is stop #14 on the Glendale Walking Tour. Originally known as the town or city park, Murphy Park has always been the center of downtown Glendale and has a special connection to Glendale's founder, W.J. Murphy. (Submitted on May 9, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.) 
 
Categories. Notable PersonsNotable Places
 
Glendale's Towering Flagstaff image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, May 4, 2010
3. Glendale's Towering Flagstaff
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 7, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 762 times since then and 39 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on May 7, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement