Chester in Meigs County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Morgan's Raid Route / Chester Village Commons
Side A: Morgan's Raid Route
General John Hunt Morgan of Kentucky led a force of Confederate calvarymen into Meigs County during a forty-six-day raid north of the Ohio River. The advance forces burned Benjamin Knight's carding mill and sawmill, the Shade River Bridge, and pillaged local businesses in Chester on July 18, 1863, while waiting for the rest of the column to catch up. This two-hour halt delayed General Morgan's arrival at the ford at Buffington Island until after dark, allowing Union troops to arrive before he could make his escape. General Morgan surrendered eight days later near West Point in Columbiana County, the northernmost point ever reached by Confederate forces during the Civil War.
Side B: Chester Village Commons
Overlooking the village commons here in Chester is Meigs County's first courthouse, built in 1823 and one of only three extant Federal-style courthouse structures in Ohio. The courthouse was vacated in 1841 when the county seat was moved to Pomeroy. Adjacent to the former courthouse is the three-story Meigs County High School and Teachers Institute build in 1839, complete with a bell and cupola. The Institute was built as a school of higher learning for all Meigs Countians and thus was built on public land next to the courthouse. Both buildings are listed on the National
Erected 1997 by Meigs County Historical Society, Ohio Travel and Tourism, and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 5-53.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
Location. 39° 5.269′ N, 81° 55.316′ W. Marker is in Chester, Ohio, in Meigs County. Marker is at the intersection of Ohio Route 248 and Scout Camp Road (Local Route 112), on the left when traveling east on State Route 248. Touch for map. Marker is adjacent to the fire station. Marker is in this post office area: Chester OH 45720, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Chester (here, next to this marker); Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 9053 Memorial (here, next to this marker); Meigs County Fairgrounds (approx. 5.3 miles away); Rock Springs (approx. 5.4 miles away); Morgan's Raid Route (approx. 5.4 miles away); James Edwin Campbell (approx. 5.9 miles away); Long Bottom (approx. 6.3 miles away); Salisbury Township (approx. 6.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Chester.
Also see . . .
1. Chester Courthouse. (Submitted on May 8, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Morgan's Raid. (Submitted on May 8, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Education • Military • Notable Buildings • Notable Events • Notable Persons • Patriots & Patriotism • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 8, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 991 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on May 8, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.