Vinton in Gallia County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
During the American Civil War 1860-1865, a Confederate cavalry, led by Brigadier General John Hunt Morgan, infiltrated the states of Kentucky, southern Indiana, and southeastern Ohio as a diversionary tactic to draw northern troops from eastern Tennessee. The 2,500 infantrymen [sic - calvarymen] passed through Gallia County, Ohio, and reached the village of Vinton on July 17, 1863. The Rebels plundered the town searching for horses, food, and forage. Near this marker, they crossed the covered bridge over Big Raccoon Creek and then burned the 120-foot structure behind them. Area residents were left unharmed and no lives were lost.
Erected 1991 by Gallia County Historical Society, O.O. McIntyre Park District, and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 2-82.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
Location. 38° 58.578′ N, 82° 20.395′ W. Marker is in Vinton, Ohio, in Gallia County. Marker is at the intersection of Jackson Street (Ohio Route 160/325) and Main Street, on the left when traveling east on Jackson Street. Touch for map. Marker is adjacent to the post office. Marker is at or near this postal address: 137 Main Street, Vinton OH 45686, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. The Lambert Land Settlement (approx. 2.1 miles away); Ewington Academy (approx. 2.4 miles away); Bidwell (approx. 4.5 miles away); Morgan's Raid in Vinton County (approx. 6.9 miles away); Henry Duc and the Defenders of Our Country (approx. 6.9 miles away); Scales (approx. 8.4 miles away); Stockyard (approx. 8.4 miles away); Buckeye Furnace (approx. 8.4 miles away).
Also see . . . Morgan's Raid. (Submitted on May 8, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Heroes • Military • Notable Events • Notable Persons • Notable Places • Patriots & Patriotism • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 8, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 1,096 times since then and 99 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 8, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.