Glendale in Maricopa County, Arizona — The American Mountains (Southwest)
Glendale Woman's Club Clubhouse
of Historic Places
By the United States Department of the Interior
Listed July 7, 1989
In 1901, a small group of pioneer women organized the Self Culture Club of Glendale with the primary focus being the betterment of themselves and the community through literary endeavors. The Club federated in the General Federation of Women's Clubs in 1902, and later became known as The Glendale Women's Club. As the population continued to grow with the opening of the Sugar Beet Factory in 1907, so did the Club's membership. The women found it impossible to continue to meet in their homes, and decided to acquire their own clubhouse. By 1912, enough money had been raised to construct the building at a cost of $2,947.00. The land on which it is built was donated during a real estate promotion. The women hired Thornton Fitzhugh, a prominent Arizona architect, to design the clubhouse. The building is of the Craftman Bungalow style and was constructed with imported California redwood. The building was dedicated in 1913. The Club still owns and uses the building today.
Location. 33° 32.38′ N, 112° 10.807′ W. Marker is in Glendale, Arizona, in Maricopa County. Marker is Touch for map. Marker is on southwest corner. Marker is in this post office area: Glendale AZ 85301, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Glendale Business District (approx. 0.2 miles away); Robert W. Cole Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); Sine Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); Hine Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); Murphy Park (approx. ¼ mile away); William J. Murphy (approx. ¼ mile away); Glendale Townsite (approx. ¼ mile away); Glendale's Towering Flagstaff (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Glendale.
Categories. • Fraternal or Sororal Organizations • Notable Buildings • Women •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 8, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 928 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 8, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.