Tunnel Hill in Whitfield County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Western & Atlantic Railroad Tunnel
The tunnel played a role in one of the most colorful exploits of the Civil War, The Great Locomotive Chase, James J. Andrews and his band of Union "engine thieves" raced the stolen General through the tunnel closely pursued by the Texas,
Erected 1992 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 155-36.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 34° 50.409′ N, 85° 2.591′ W. Marker is in Tunnel Hill, Georgia, in Whitfield County. Marker is on Oak Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Tunnel Hill GA 30755, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Tunnel Hill (here, next to this marker); Clisby Austin House (here, next to this marker); The Excavation (approx. 0.4 miles away); Crow Valley (approx. 2.6 miles away); Mill Creek Gap (approx. 2.7 miles away); Confederate Defense of Mill Creek Gap (approx. 2.7 miles away); Stevenson's Line (approx. 2.8 miles away); The Flooded Gap (approx. 2.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tunnel Hill.
Also see . . .
1. The Tunnel Hill Heritage Center. Tours are available through the tunnel. Information can be found on the Heritage Centers website. (Submitted on September 15, 2008, by David Tibbs of Resaca, Georgia.)
2. Wikipedia entry for the Great Locomotive Chase (Submitted on October 11, 2008, by David Tibbs of Resaca, Georgia.)
3. Photograph of tunnel through Chetoogeta Mountain, Tunnel Hill, Whitfield County, Georgia, ca. 1905. The tunnel was cut through Chetoogeta Mountain as part of the construction of the Western & Atlantic Railroad which ran from Atlanta to Chattanooga, Tenn. The first train of cars passed through it in 1850. During the Civil War the two locomotives involved in Andrew's Raid passed through the tunnel. The tunnel is no longer in use.
From the Vanishing Georgia website, hosted by the Georgia Division of Archives and History, Office of Secretary of State. (Submitted on February 20, 2009, by David Tibbs of Resaca, Georgia.)
1. Error in Tunnel Length
Should note that there is an error, which we at the Tunnel Hill Historical Foundation are looking to get corrected, but the tunnel is NOT 1447 feet long, but is 1477 feet long, as noted on the "excavation" marker. Also note that there are two "excavation" markers, the one you have, which is on the west end of the tunnel, and an almost identical one 1477 feet away at the east end, which shows that the excavation from that end was 902 feet and gives the date that excavation began on that end, which, if memory serves, was August 8, 1848, but might be off on the actual
— Submitted May 13, 2010, by Steve Hall of Rocky face, Georgia.
Categories. • Antebellum South, US • Railroads & Streetcars • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 15, 2008, by David Tibbs of Resaca, Georgia. This page has been viewed 2,965 times since then and 45 times this year. Last updated on May 11, 2010, by Steve Hall of Rocky face, Georgia. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on September 15, 2008, by David Tibbs of Resaca, Georgia. 6. submitted on November 14, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.