Acworth in Cobb County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Significant Civil War military events transpired at the house and in the immediate vicinity in 1864. General Oliver O. Howard, Commander of the 4th Army Corps (Federal) made his headquarters in the house from June 6-10, 1864. An attempt to burn the house was made soon after the Federal departure but the timely arrival of a neighbor saved it from destruction.
Erected 2008 by Cobb County, Georgia.
Location. 34° 2.007′ N, 84° 41.333′ W. Marker is in Acworth, Georgia, in Cobb County. Marker is at the intersection of Mars Hill Church Road and Rose Arbor Drive, on the right when traveling north on Mars Hill Church Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Atlanta GA 30301, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Durham House (approx. 1.3 miles away); Site ~ Mason’s Bridge Route of Polk’s Corps (approx. 1.6 miles away); Site of Old Allatoona Church (approx. 2.2 miles away); The Wm. Nickols House (approx. 2.4 miles away); Stilesboro-Sandtown Crossroads (approx. 2.6 miles away); Hardee’s, Hood’s & French’s H’dq’rs. (approx. 3 miles away); James Foster House (approx. 3.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Acworth.
Categories. • Antebellum South, US • Notable Buildings • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 13, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,085 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 13, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.