Dahlonega in Lumpkin County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
“Gold Diggers’ Road”
Beginning on the Chestatee River to the east, where it connected with a route coming from South Carolina via Toccoa, Clarkesville and Cleveland, the Gold Diggers’ Road led here; thence southward, along U.S. 19 to Dahlonega and from there to Auraria.
Much of its original course is now abandoned.
Erected 1954. (Marker Number 093-7.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 34° 34.281′ N, 83° 58.074′ W. Marker is in Dahlonega, Georgia, in Lumpkin County. Marker is at the intersection of Calhoun Road (U.S. 19) and Business U.S. 19, on the right when traveling north on Calhoun Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Dahlonega GA 30533, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Consolidated Gold Mines (approx. 2.4 miles away); Dahlonega Mustering Grounds (approx. 2.7 miles away); The Public Square (approx. 2.8 miles away); Singleton/Wimpy/Gaillard Homeplace (approx. 2.8 miles away); Lumpkin Court House (approx. 2.9 miles away); Price Memorial Building (approx. 3 miles away); Findley Ridge (approx. 3.3 miles away); Trahlyta’s Grave (approx. 4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dahlonega.
Categories. • Antebellum South, US • Natural Resources • Roads & Vehicles •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 16, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,208 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 16, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.