San Antonio in Bexar County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Spanish Mission and Military Post
1724 - 1821
When these buildings were built, Texas was part of the Spanish colony of New Spain. The buildings were part of the Mission San Antonio de Valero, established by Franciscan missionaries in order to convert the Native Americans living in the vicinity to the Catholic religion and to secure the King of Spain's claim to Texas. After the mission was closed in 1793, the buildings housed a Spanish military company and hospital and continued to play an important role in the protection of the northern frontier of New Spain.
Erected by Daughters of the Republic of Texas.
Location. 29° 25.564′ N, 98° 29.184′ W. Marker is in San Antonio, Texas, in Bexar County. Touch for map. Marker is under the covered walkway along the east facade of the Long Barrack. Marker is at or near this postal address: 300 Alamo Plaza, San Antonio TX 78205, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Alamo (here, next to this marker); Mission Mill (and Millstone) (here, next to this marker); Clara Driscoll (a few steps from this marker); Ruins of the Habitations of the Friars and Indians (a few steps from this marker); The Birthplace of Freemasonry in West Texas (a few steps from this marker); Masonic Heroes of the Alamo (a few steps from this marker); The Alamo in 1836 (a few steps from this marker); Tennessee Volunteers at the Alamo (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Antonio.
Also see . . . San Antonio Mission Communities. (Submitted on May 16, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Churches, Etc. • Forts, Castles • Government • Military • Native Americans • Notable Buildings • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 16, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 911 times since then and 47 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 16, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.