Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Queenstown in Queen Anne's County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Colonial Courthouse

 
 
Colonial Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Beverly Pfingsten, October 19, 2007
1. Colonial Courthouse Marker
Inscription. The frame section of the structure dates to circa 1708 and is consistent with other Maryland courthouses in size, form, character and materials. The brick section was added circa 1820–40. Laws in the 18th century mostly were enforced by fines, but records show that more serious punishments were given. In 1718, a whipping post was erected at Queenstown. Records reveal that some offenders were subjected to lashing, time in the stocks, branding, or execution by hanging in gallows Field, south of the courthouse. In 1782, when the county seat was moved to Centreville, the building was adapted to various uses. In 1977, the Town purchased the building and a citizen-government coalition restored the frame section to its original appearance. The brick addition was renovated to accommodate offices for the Board of Town Commissioners.
 
Location. 38° 59.428′ N, 76° 9.465′ W. Marker is in Queenstown, Maryland, in Queen Anne's County. Marker is at the intersection of Maryland Route 18 and Del Rhodes Avenue, on the left when traveling south on State Route 18. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Queenstown MD 21658, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Queenstown (here, next to this marker); Surprise at Queenstown
Queenstown Courthouse image. Click for full size.
By Beverly Pfingsten, October 19, 2007
2. Queenstown Courthouse
(a few steps from this marker); War in the Chesapeake (a few steps from this marker); Bowlingly (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named Bowlingly (about 600 feet away); “Lord’s Gift” (approx. 0.4 miles away); St. Peter’s Church (approx. 1.6 miles away); Battle of Slippery Hill (approx. 1.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Queenstown.
 
Categories. Colonial EraNotable BuildingsPolitical Subdivisions
 
Courthouse Sign image. Click for full size.
By Beverly Pfingsten, October 19, 2007
3. Courthouse Sign
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 23, 2007, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,378 times since then and 32 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on October 23, 2007, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement