Johnson City in Blanco County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
James Polk Johnson Building
Built by Johnson City founder James Polk Johnson (1845-1885), this structure has housed a variety of businesses and served as a community gathering place. In addition to serving as a community hall, opera house, and meeting place for churches and community groups, the structure was occupied by such commercial enterprises as banks, general stores, hotels, restaurants, and business offices. When the Blanco County seat moved to Johnson City in 1890 this building became a temporary county courthouse and jail. Former President Lyndon Johnson maintained an office here for a short time.
Erected 1992 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 2829.)
Location. 30° 16.655′ N, 98° 24.712′ W. Marker is in Johnson City, Texas, in Blanco County. Marker is at the intersection of Nugent Avenue (State Highway 356) and Pecan Avenue, on the left when traveling south on Nugent Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 100 E. Pecan Avenue, Johnson City TX 78636, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Blanco County Veterans Memorial Flagpole (within shouting distance of this marker); Blanco County (within shouting distance of this marker); Blanco County Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); 1894 Blanco County Jail (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Baptist Church (about 700 feet away); L. B. J. Boyhood Home (about 800 feet away); Pedernales Electric Cooperative, Inc. (approx. 0.2 miles away); E. Babe Smith (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Johnson City.
Regarding James Polk Johnson Building. The Johnson City Bank has been located in the building since 1944.
Also see . . . Johnson City, Texas. (Submitted on May 24, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Government • Industry & Commerce • Notable Buildings • Notable Persons •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 24, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 722 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 24, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.