Bowdon in Carroll County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Site of Bowdon College
The college closed its doors briefly when all but two of the students (one blind, one with no arms) entered the Confederate Army. The president, Charles A. McDaniel, and 128 of the 144 students died in the War. Only twice in the history of the school did Bowdon citizens depend upon state funds to sustain the school. After the Civil War Bowdon was one of five Georgia colleges commissioned to provide free tuition to poor and maimed Confederate veterans. The program ended in 1869, and the trustees of the college, under financial strain, boldly voted to become coed. An act creating Bowdon State Normal School was passed in August, 1919.
State funding for Bowdon was terminated but the citizens rallied and continued Bowdon as a junior college from 1934 to 1936. Graduates have carried the honor of the institution into our state and national capitals and throughout the world. From her halls have come educators, doctors, lawyers, journalists, judges, bankers, farmers, industrialists, governors, and senators. “The college that was
Erected 1993 by Georgia Department of Natural Resources. (Marker Number 022-7.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 33° 32.248′ N, 85° 15.651′ W. Marker is in Bowdon, Georgia, in Carroll County. Marker is on West College Street (Georgia Route 166) 0 miles west of College View Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. The marker is at the edge of the student parking lot at the the Bowden High School. Marker is at or near this postal address: 504 West College Street, Bowdon GA 30108, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 7 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Whatley Memorial Historic Park (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Last Land in Georgia Ceded by the Creeks (approx. half a mile away); First "REA" Substation in Carroll County (approx. 9 miles away); Six Industrial Giants (was approx. 11.2 miles away but has been reported missing. ); Dixie Street (approx. 11.2 miles away); Charles Carroll of Carrollton (approx. 11.3 miles away); Sacred Harp Singing (approx. 11.9 miles away).
Categories. • 20th Century • Antebellum South, US • Education • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 31, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,201 times since then and 56 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 31, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. 3. submitted on November 11, 2012, by Judith Barber of Marietta, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.