Nacogdoches in Nacogdoches County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Westminster Presbyterian Church
Denomination's Presbytery of Texas. Around 1900, the church constructed a wood frame building on Main Street designed by noted Nacogdoches Architect D.A.W. Rulfs. After outgrowing this structure, the church completed a sanctuary and manse in 1930 at the corner of North and Powers Streets and became known as Westminster Presbyterian Church. The congregation added Westminster Fellowship Hall in 1965 and an educational building in 1998.
Westminster Presbyterian Church has a rich history of helping those in need. During World War I the church led Nacogdoches County's war savings stamps campaign, and in the 1920s, worked with local boy scouts and with students at Stephen F. Austin State Teachers College (now Stephen F. Austin State University). The congregation helped to found the Head Start program in Nacogdoches. Other ministries have included a senior citizen nutrition center, telephone reassurance program, Samaritan counseling center, Habitat for Humanity and Love Inc. The congregation has also stressed music ministry, both in
Marker is property of the State of Texas.
Erected 2009 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 15980.)
Location. 31° 36.666′ N, 94° 39.225′ W. Marker is in Nacogdoches, Texas, in Nacogdoches County. Marker is on North Street just north of Powers Street when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 903 North Street, Nacogdoches TX 75961, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Site of the Home of Juan Antonio Padilla (here, next to this marker); La Calle Real del Norte (a few steps from this marker); Site of the Mission Nuestra Señora de Guadalupe (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Charles S. Taylor (approx. 0.2 miles away); Ancient Mound (approx. 0.4 miles away); Durst-Taylor House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Site of the home of James Dill (approx. 0.4 miles away); First United Methodist Church of Nacogdoches (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Nacogdoches.
Categories. • Charity & Public Work • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 2, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. This page has been viewed 537 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 2, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.