Near Twin Falls in Jerome County, Idaho — The American West (Mountains)
Hudson's Bay Company traders preferred this route between Fort Hall and Fort Boise, but early emigrant wagons had to travel a road south of Snake River until ferries and road improvements let wagons come this way. Shoshone Falls -- known until 1849 as Canadian Falls to British and French trappers -- was a spectacular attraction along this road.
Erected by Idaho Historical Society. (Marker Number 326.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Idaho State Historical Society marker series.
Location. 42° 37.218′ N, 114° 26.953′ W. Marker is near Twin Falls, Idaho, in Jerome County. Marker is on U.S. 93 at milepost 51, 0.8 miles north of Golf Course Road, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Jerome ID 83338, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. College of Southern Idaho (approx. 1½ miles away); Ira Burton Perrine (approx. 1½ miles away); Shoshone Falls (approx. 1½ miles away); a different Shoshone Falls (approx. 3 miles away); Shoshone Falls Project (approx. 3.1 miles away); Perrine Memorial Bridge (approx. 4.3 miles away); Robert Evel Knievel (approx. 4.3 miles away); The Desert Bloomed (approx. 8.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Twin Falls.
Categories. • Natural Features • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 3, 2010, by Rebecca Maxwell of Boise, Idaho. This page has been viewed 1,898 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 3, 2010, by Rebecca Maxwell of Boise, Idaho. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.