Brownsboro in Henderson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Site Of Old Normandy
(One-Half Mile Southeast)
In "Christianssandsposten", J.R. Reierson urged Norwegians to find "a rich life" by migrating to Texas. His associate editor, Elise Tvede (1815-1895), also came to Texas and continued writing for publications in Norway. She married Wilhelm Warenskjold, lived in this area, and opened home to Norwegian newcomers.
By 1853 a Norwegian-Lutheran church and cemetery had been established here. Normandy was later renamed Brownsboro.
Erected 1970 by Texas State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 10368.)
Location. 32° 18.148′ N, 95° 36.799′ W. Marker is in Brownsboro, Texas, in Henderson County. Marker is at the intersection of State Highway 31 and Stuart Street, on the left when traveling west on State Highway 31. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Brownsboro TX 75756, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Brownsboro Norwegian Lutheran Cemetery (here, next to this marker); Rock Hill Cemetery (approx. 4.3 miles away); Site of C.W. Morris Cotton Gin Adren Anglin (approx. 5.4 miles away); Asbury Cemetery (approx. 5.4 miles away); John Crane (approx. 7.3 miles away); Yarborough House (approx. 8 miles away); County Line Missionary Baptist Church (approx. 8.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Brownsboro.
More about this marker. This marker is located right next to an additional marker.
Also see . . . The Handbook of Texas Online - Normandy, TX. (Submitted on June 7, 2010, by Amanda Hartley of Tyler, Texas.)
Categories. • Notable Persons • Notable Places • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 7, 2010, by Amanda Hartley of Tyler, Texas. This page has been viewed 859 times since then and 37 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on June 7, 2010, by Amanda Hartley of Tyler, Texas. 2. submitted on November 1, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.