Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Blenheim in Marlboro County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Brownsville Baptist Church

 
 
Brownsville Baptist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Paul Crumlish, May 7, 2010
1. Brownsville Baptist Church Marker
Inscription. Marker Front:
In 1788, this Baptist congregation, a branch of Cashaway Church (1756) founded by Welsh Neck Church (1738), purchased land 2 miles SW of here from the Rev. John Brown. The congregation was independently constituted in 1789 and named Muddy Creek. The church, which was known as Brownsville by 1829, moved here in 1860.

Marker Reverse:
Completed in 1979 to resemble the 1860 church which burned in 1977, this building contains the original pine pews & pulpit furniture from the 1860 building. Both the Welsh Neck & Pee Dee Baptist Associations were organized in Brownsville Church in 1832 and 1876, respectively. Prior to 1832, Brownsville belonged to the Charleston Association.
 
Erected 1989 by The Congregation. (Marker Number 35-30.)
 
Location. 34° 26.52′ N, 79° 37.649′ W. Marker is near Blenheim, South Carolina, in Marlboro County. Marker is at the intersection of Old State Highway 38 and Allen Ridge Road (County Road 99), on the left when traveling south on State Highway 38. Touch for map. The Brownsville Baptist Church is located on the old South Carolina Highway 38, which parallels the newer highway to the east by approximately a quarter of a mile. Marker is
Wide view of the Brownsville Baptist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Paul Crumlish, May 7, 2010
2. Wide view of the Brownsville Baptist Church Marker
at or near this postal address: 4110 Old South Carolina Highway 38, Blenheim SC 29516, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Grave of Mason Lee / Will of Mason Lee (approx. 1.3 miles away); Frederick Charles Hans Bruno Poellnitz / Ragtown (approx. 1.5 miles away); Barnabas Kelet Henagan Home Site (approx. 1.6 miles away); Brownsville Church (approx. 1.7 miles away); Reedy Creek Springs (approx. 4.4 miles away but has been reported missing); Blenheim (approx. 4.9 miles away); Robert Blair Campbell / John Campbell (approx. 4.9 miles away); Blenheim Mineral Springs (approx. 5.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Blenheim.
 
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. A marker at the church's original location.
 
Categories. Cemeteries & Burial SitesChurches, Etc.
 
Brownsville Baptist Church (1979) image. Click for full size.
By Paul Crumlish, May 7, 2010
3. Brownsville Baptist Church (1979)
Built in 1979 to resemble the 1860 church. The building contains the original pine pews & pulpit furniture.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 8, 2010, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia. This page has been viewed 950 times since then and 33 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on June 8, 2010, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia.
Paid Advertisement