Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Sullivans Island in Charleston County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Enlisted Men's Barracks

 
 
Enlisted Men's Barracks Marker image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, May 3, 2010
1. Enlisted Men's Barracks Marker
Inscription. Long rectangular foundations are all that remain of the two-story brick soldiers' barracks that stood here from 1809, when Fort Moultrie III was new, until Confederates razed it in 1863 to eliminate the danger from flying debris should the building be hit by shells. The fort's officers lived in a similar, but more comfortably appointed, barracks across the parade.

A Confederate photographer took this picture of the barracks in 1861.
 
Location. 32° 45.571′ N, 79° 51.494′ W. Marker is in Sullivans Island, South Carolina, in Charleston County. Marker can be reached from Middle Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Located at stop five of the tour of Fort Moultrie National Monument. Marker is in this post office area: Sullivans Island SC 29482, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Harbor Defense 1809-1860 (here, next to this marker); Powder Magazine (a few steps from this marker); Traverse c.1820 (a few steps from this marker); Defending Charleston 1861-1865 (within shouting distance of this marker); Building Forts (within shouting distance of this marker); Move a 50,000 pound Rodman Gun
Markers at Stop Five of the Tour image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, May 3, 2010
2. Markers at Stop Five of the Tour
(within shouting distance of this marker); Northwest Bastionet (within shouting distance of this marker); Harbor Defense (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sullivans Island.
 
Categories. Forts, CastlesWar, US Civil
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 17, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 474 times since then and 40 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on June 17, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Photo of the foundation trace. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement