Corpus Christi in Nueces County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Elihu Harrison Ropes
Backed by Eastern investors, Ropes began his plan to dredge a 14-mile channel through Mustang Island. His equipment, however, was constantly in need of repair, and when the financial Panic of 1893 hit the country, the project was abandoned. Likewise, his dream for the cliffs resort area was not fully realized, as the grand hotel he constructed, known as the Alta Vista (burned 1927), was never opened to the public.
When the Panic of 1893 led Ropes' financial supporters to withhold their money, Ropes left Corpus Christi for New York, where he died in 1898. Although Ropes' goals lay unfulfilled, they did stimulate an interest in Corpus Christi's potential for development.
Erected 1985 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number
Location. 27° 45.247′ N, 97° 22.59′ W. Marker is in Corpus Christi, Texas, in Nueces County. Marker is on Ocean Drive north of Ropes Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Inside Ropes Park. Marker is in this post office area: Corpus Christi TX 78401, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First Baptist Church of Corpus Christi (approx. 0.8 miles away); Alonzo Álvarez de Pineda (approx. 1.1 miles away); Capitán Blas María de la Garza Falcón (approx. 2.9 miles away); Site of Kinney's Trading Post (approx. 3 miles away); Centennial House (approx. 3 miles away); Gold Star Court of Honor (approx. 3 miles away); 1941 Corpus Christi Seawall (approx. 3 miles away); Gutzon Borglum and the Corpus Christi Bayfront (approx. 3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Corpus Christi.
Categories. • Notable Persons • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 21, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. This page has been viewed 853 times since then and 36 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 21, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.