Caldwell in Essex County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Old Burying Ground
in use ca. 1788-1881
Land given in 1779 for a church and for
“ . . . a place of burial for said Congregation and Inhabitants.”
Contains graves of early Caldwell area
families, including veterans of
The American Revolution
The War of 1812 The Civil War
Reverend Stephen Grover, the church’s first pastor and for whom President Grover Cleveland was named, lies here.
Church and cemetery are listed in the State Register of Historic Places.
Location. 40° 50.372′ N, 74° 16.559′ W. Marker is in Caldwell, New Jersey, in Essex County. Marker is on Bloomfield Avenue (New Jersey Route 507), on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Caldwell NJ 07006, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First Fire House in Caldwell (within shouting distance of this marker); Rev. James Caldwell (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Brick Store (approx. one mile away); Ancient Native American Trail (approx. 1.6 miles away); The Bloomfield Avenue School Washington’s Temporary Headquarters (approx. 3.2 miles away); Morris County (approx. 3.2 miles away); Hillside School War Memorial (approx. 3.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Caldwell.
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 26, 2010, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 624 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 26, 2010, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.