Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Newtown in Bucks County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Temperance House

Newtown Heritage Walk No. 31

 
 
Temperance House Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., October 15, 2009
1. Temperance House Marker
Inscription.
Although some historians believe there may have been a tavern at this location fifty years earlier, Andrew and Nancy McMinn built the first part of the Temperance House, located at 5 South State Street, circa 1772. Part of the building was used as a tavern and another section as a schoolhouse, where Andrew McMinn taught school. McMinn became a well-known figure in Newtown, and later served as a sergeant in Capt. Henry Van Horn's militia company during the Revolutionary War.

General Francis Murray and Jolly & Mercy Yardley Longshore ran the inn during post-Revolutionary days. Innkeeper William R. Hallowell renamed the hostelry "The Temperance Hotel" in 1848. The inn later became known as "The Niagara Temperance House" under proprietor Joseph Willard, complementing Edward Hicks' sign depicting a moose standing by Niagara Falls. Samuel Willard later named it "The Temperance Hotel Oyster and Ice Cream Bar." The name was reduced by common usage over the years to simply "The Temperance House" and then to "The Temp". The hotel remains a popular dining spot today and now encompasses the buildings from 5-11 South State Street.
 
Erected 2007 by The Temperance House and Newtown Historic Association.
 
Location. 40° 13.736′ N, 74° 
Temperance House and Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., October 15, 2009
2. Temperance House and Marker
56.201′ W. Marker is in Newtown, Pennsylvania, in Bucks County. Marker is on State Street, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is about 100 feet south of Washington Avenue. Marker is at or near this postal address: 5-11 S. State Street, Newtown PA 18940, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Paxson-Croasdale Building & Trolley (within shouting distance of this marker); Brick Hotel (within shouting distance of this marker); Newtown - County Seat (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The First National Bank (about 400 feet away); Newtown War Memorial (about 400 feet away); Newtown Borough Hall (about 400 feet away); Half-Moon Inn (about 400 feet away); Justices House (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Newtown.
 
Also see . . .
1. The Temperance House. (Submitted on June 29, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Newtown Heritage Walk. (Submitted on June 29, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
 
Categories. Colonial EraEducationHeroesIndustry & CommerceNotable PersonsPatriots & PatriotismSettlements & SettlersWar, US Revolutionary
 
Photo on Temperance House Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., October 15, 2009
3. Photo on Temperance House Marker
[Caption reads] View of the Temperance House, circa 1890.
Photo on Temperance House Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., October 15, 2009
4. Photo on Temperance House Marker
[Caption reads] View of Tranter Meats & Provisions, now part of the Temperance House, circa 1910.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 29, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 703 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 29, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.
Paid Advertisement