Key West in Monroe County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
The Little White House
President Harry S. Truman used this house for 175 days during his administration of 1945-1953. In 1948, the joint chiefs of staff met at this house to create the Department of Defense by merging the Department of War and Department of the Navy.
While here the President discussed the Marshall Plan to rebuild Europe, the Truman Doctrine that changed American foreign policy, the recognition of the State of Israel. He wrote his fourth Civil Rights Executive Order requiring federal contractors to hire minorities and he drafted a letter that called for a two-week cease fire in Korea. The reaction of General Douglas MacArthur to this letter led to his dismissal as Allied Commander. President Truman made five post-presidential visits to Key West between 1957 and 1969, each time visiting his former Little White House, but staying in a private residence in town.
President Dwight Eisenhower used the house for meetings in 1955 while he recovered from a heart attack.
The Navy base was named the Truman Annex in 1973, following the death of President Truman. In 1974, this portion of the base closed. For twelve years the property was abandoned. In 1986, the Truman Annex, including the Little White House, was sold by the government to developer Pritam Singh. On January 1, 1987, Mr. Singh transferred this property to the State of Florida in exchange for certain easements and development rights. It is held in trust by the state for the citizens of the world. Over the next three years, Mr. Singh privately funded and directed the restoration of the building and the grounds to reflect the Truman era. Mr. and Mrs. Henry Drettman funded additional restoration in the 1990s. In 1996, President and Mrs. Jimmy Carter used the house for a family gathering. In 1999, Historic Tours of America entered into agreement with the State of Florida to help continue the restoration and became a major donor and corporate sponsor of the important historic site.
On April 2-6, 2001, Secretary of State Colin Powell opened peace talks in this house between the Presidents of Armenia and Azerbaijan.
In 2005, President Bill and Senator Hillary Clinton used the house as a weekend retreat. President Clinton became
Erected by Florida Department of State.
Location. 24° 33.386′ N, 81° 48.4′ W. Marker is in Key West, Florida, in Monroe County. Marker is on Front Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Key West FL 33040, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named The Little White House (here, next to this marker); Naval Station (within shouting distance of this marker); Audubon House (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Clinton Square (about 700 feet away); Navy Club of Key West Monument (about 700 feet away); Mallory Homesite (about 800 feet away); Key West Woman's Club (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Oldest Schoolhouse (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Key West.
Categories. • Government • Notable Buildings • War, Cold • War, Korean •
Credits. This page was last revised on January 26, 2018. This page originally submitted on July 5, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 861 times since then and 41 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 5, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.