Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Washington in Wilkes County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Dyson House

1820

 
 
Dyson House Marker image. Click for full size.
By AGS Media, October 2, 2009
1. Dyson House Marker
Inscription.
Early Classical Revival house
with a full daylight English
basement unpainted for 100
years. Constructed of hand
planed virgin pine


1934
Oliver S. Dyson, Founder
Wilkes Telephone & Electric Co.
1893-1963

 
Erected by W-WHF (Washington-Wilkes Historical Foundation).
 
Location. 33° 44.196′ N, 82° 44.063′ W. Marker is in Washington, Georgia, in Wilkes County. Marker is on East Robert Toombs Avenue (Business U.S. 78) west of Poplar Drive, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is planted in the lawn of the house, to the left of the front walk when facing the house. Marker is at or near this postal address: 215 East Robert Toombs Avenue, Washington GA 30673, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Oliver S. Dyson House (within shouting distance of this marker); Home of Robert Toombs (within shouting distance of this marker); The Episcopal Church of the Mediator (within shouting distance of this marker); Tarver-Maynard House (within shouting distance of this marker); Toombs-Anderson House
Dyson House image. Click for full size.
By AGS Media, October 2, 2009
2. Dyson House
The marker is planted in the grass, just to the left of the front walk.
(within shouting distance of this marker); Queen Anne Style (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Home of Sarah Hillhouse (about 300 feet away); Washington Presbyterian Church (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Washington.
 
More about this marker. The marker and house are within the East Robert Toombs Historic District (a National Historic District), for which the Dyson House is a contributing structure.
 
Regarding Dyson House. The antebellum home with a twin staircase at its front entry is also known as the Sandifer-Wingfield-Irvin-Dyson House. It was built in 1820 by Harris Sandifer, a harness maker who ran his shop from the home. Subsequent owners Frank Wingfield, Isaiah Tucker Irvin II, and later his widow, enlarged the original structure.
(Source: Image hbo0010, Hubert B. Owens Collection, box 45, Owens Library, University of Georgia, Athens, GA)

Left bare for its first 100 years, the house's exterior is today painted white with black shutters.
 
Additional keywords. Sandifer,
Dyson House image. Click for full size.
By AGS Media, October 2, 2009
3. Dyson House
Wingfield, Irvin, East Robert Toombs Historic District

 
Categories. 20th CenturyAntebellum South, US
 
Dyson House image. Click for full size.
By AGS Media, October 2, 2009
4. Dyson House
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 6, 2010, by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. This page has been viewed 668 times since then and 38 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 6, 2010, by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement