Augusta in Richmond County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Sole remnant of the extensive
powder-works here erected
under the auspices of the
Is, by the Confederate
of Augusta, with the consent
of the City Council, conserved
in the honor of a fallen nation,
and inscribed to the memory
of those who died in the
Southern Armies during
The War Between The States.
George Washington Rains
Captain, 4th Artillery.
Who under almost insuperable
and successfully operated
A bulwark of the beleaguered
Erected by Confederate Survivors Association.
Location. 33° 29.219′ N, 81° 59.545′ W. Marker is in Augusta, Georgia, in Richmond County. Marker is on Goodrich Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Located between Kendrick Place and Eve Street. Marker is in this post office area: Augusta GA 30904, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are The Confederate States Powder Works (here, next to this marker); Explosion At The Confederate Powder Works (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Augusta Canal (about 700 feet away); White HouseTract (approx. 0.2 miles away); Confederate Powder Works (approx. ¼ mile away); Archibald Willingham Butt Memorial Bridge (approx. ¾ mile away); a different marker also named The Augusta Canal (approx. ¾ mile away); Dennis Cahill (approx. ¾ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Augusta.
Regarding Confederate Obelisk-Chimney. marks center of Confederate Powder Works which extended two miles along the river and was the principal powder factory in the South during the War. It supplied Confederate armies with abundant gunpowder of the highest quality then made, and was said to be the second largest powder factory then in the world, manufacturing a total of 2,750,000 pounds during the three years that it operated. Erected by Colonel George W. Rains for the Confederate Government shortly after the outbreak of the War and operated by him until April 18, 1865. (Georgia Historical Commission)
Also see . . .
1. Confederate Powderworks. The 150 foot Powderworks chimney still stands today on the Augusta Canal and is one (Submitted on July 11, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
2. Sibley Mill and Confederate Powder Works Chimney, N.P.S. Work on the plant commenced in 1862 with materials gathered from the southern states including Georgia, Alabama, Tennessee, Virginia, and North Carolina.... (Submitted on July 11, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
3. ExploreSouthernHistory.com - Confederate Powder Works, Georgia. The brick chimney of the Confederate Powder Works complex in Augusta is the last standing permanent structure built by the Confederate government. (Submitted on May 27, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 11, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,074 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on July 11, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.