Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Madison in Morris County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Sayre House

 
 
Sayre House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Alan Edelson, July 12, 2010
1. Sayre House Marker
Inscription. Built about 1745, was the headquarters of Gen. Anthony Wayne in 1777. Rev. James Caldwell was frequent visitor here.
 
Erected by State of New Jersey.
 
Location. Marker has been reported missing. It was located near 40° 45.768′ N, 74° 24.957′ W. Marker was in Madison, New Jersey, in Morris County. Marker was on Ridgedale Avenue 0.1 miles east of Park Ave., on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker was in this post office area: Madison NJ 07940, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this location. Sayre Homestead (a few steps from this marker); Bottle Hill Tavern (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Bethel A.M.E. Church (approx. mile away); James Madison (approx. 0.3 miles away); Miller's Station (approx. 0.3 miles away); Francis Asbury (approx. 0.4 miles away); Mead Hall (approx. 0.4 miles away); First Presbyterian Church of Chatham Township (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Madison.
 
Categories. Colonial EraNotable PersonsWar, US Revolutionary
 
Sayre House image. Click for full size.
By Alan Edelson, July 12, 2010
2. Sayre House
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 13, 2010, by Alan Edelson of Union Twsp., New Jersey. This page has been viewed 641 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 13, 2010, by Alan Edelson of Union Twsp., New Jersey. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement