Avon in Hartford County, Connecticut — The American Northeast (New England)
The brownstone buildings which house the Town Hall were constructed from local material by the Climax Fuse Company in 1907 and the buildings continued to be used for the manufacture of safety fuses until 1968. Many homes now dot the hillsides of Avon which once rang to the call of the canalmen.
Erected by the Town of Avon
The Avon Historical Society, Inc.
and the Connecticut Historical Commission
Erected 1979 by the Town of Avon, The Avon Historical Society, Inc, the Connecticut Historical Commission.
Location. 41° 48.652′ N, 72° 50.035′ W. Marker is in Avon, Connecticut, in Hartford Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Avon CT 06001, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Avon Veterans Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); Charter Oak descendant (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Constitution Oak (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Farmington Canal in Avon (approx. ¼ mile away); 1st Company Governor's Horse Guards (approx. 1.4 miles away); Birthplace of Wilford Woodruff (approx. 2.6 miles away); Roderick A. White M.D. (approx. 2.7 miles away); Weatogue Soldiers’ Memorial (approx. 2.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Avon.
Also see . . .
1. Welcome to Avon, CT. (Submitted on July 13, 2010, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.)
2. Avon, Connecticut on Wikipedia. (Submitted on July 13, 2010, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.)
Categories. • Colonial Era • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 13, 2010, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 763 times since then and 36 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 13, 2010, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.