San Francisco in San Francisco City and County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Site of the Bank of Lucas, Turner & Co.
State Registered Landmark No. 453
Tablet placed by California Centennials Commission with the cooperation of The Society of California Pioneers.
Dedicated January 17, 1950
Erected 1950 by California Centennials Commission and the Society of California Pioneers. (Marker Number 453.)
Location. 37° 47.79′ N, 122° 24.203′ W. Marker is in San Francisco, California, in San Francisco City and County. Marker is at the intersection of Jackson Street and Montgomery Street on Jackson Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 802 Montgomery Street, San Francisco CA 94111, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Banking Firm of Pioche et Bayerque (a few steps from this marker); The Salvation Army (within shouting distance of this marker); First Jewish Religious Services Hotaling Building (within shouting distance of this marker); 56 Gold Street (within shouting distance of this marker); The Black Cat Café (within shouting distance of this marker); The Montgomery Block (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Graceful Brick Building (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Francisco.
Also see . . . William Tecumseh Sherman (1820 - 1891). The Virtual Museum of San Francisco's treatment of General Sherman, with an emphasis on the time he spent in California:...He left California and served as an officer in the commissary department of the army, and resigned September 6, 1853 to return to California and take up banking for Lucas, Turner & Co. He oversaw the construction of the new bank building which opened July 11, 1854, at 800 Montgomery St. The building has survived earthquakes and fires, and is know known as “Sherman’s bank” at Montgomery and Jackson streets. (Submitted on July 22, 2010.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 21, 2010, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 1,180 times since then and 146 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 21, 2010, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.