Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Marietta in Cobb County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Historic Dickson House

c. 1841

 
 
Historic Dickson House Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, July 15, 2010
1. Historic Dickson House Marker
Inscription. Facing demolition, this house was relocated here in 2005 from its original site on the battlefield at Gilgal Church in west Cobb County. On 1864 military maps, it was referred to as the “Dixon House”. The house was damaged by artillery and rifle fire during the battle on June 15, 1864. General Daniel Butterfield’s Federal division fought past this house intending to attack southern defenses at the Due West crossroads. The assault failed due to approaching darkness and Confederate resistance. General Joseph Hooker occupied the Dickson House as headquarters on June 17, 1864.
 
Erected 2008 by Cobb County Community Development Agency.
 
Location. 33° 54.515′ N, 84° 35.143′ W. Marker is in Marietta, Georgia, in Cobb County. Marker can be reached from County Services Parkway 0.2 miles north of Al Bishop Drive. Touch for map. The marker is located on Cobb County property behind the Cobb County Parks, Recreation, Cultural Affairs Department, next to the Woodruff Cottage and Gardens. The area is fenced off, and permission should be obtained from the PRCA Office. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1792 County Services Parkway, Marietta GA 30008, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of
Historic Dickson House Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, January 30, 2008
2. Historic Dickson House Marker
The marker as originally installed in front of the Cobb County Parks, Recreation, Cultural Affairs Department building.
this marker, measured as the crow flies. Cherokee Land Lottery (approx. half a mile away); Powder Springs Road (approx. 0.6 miles away); Battle of Kolb's Farm (approx. 0.7 miles away); Battle of Kolb's Farm - June 22, 1864 (approx. 0.7 miles away); Kolb House (approx. 0.7 miles away); a different marker also named Battle of Kolb's Farm (approx. 0.7 miles away); Nesbitt-Union Chapel Ruins (approx. 0.9 miles away); Wm. G. McAdoo's Birthplace (approx. one mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Marietta.
 
More about this marker. The marker was originally installed in front of the Parks, Recreation and Cultural Affairs Department on County Services Parkway in 2008, and then moved to the location of the house in 2009.
 
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. To better understand the relationship, study each marker in the order shown.
 
Categories. Antebellum South, USWar, US Civil
 
Historic Dickson House and Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, July 15, 2010
3. Historic Dickson House and Marker
Historic Dickson House and Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, July 15, 2010
4. Historic Dickson House and Marker
Historic Dickson House image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, July 15, 2010
5. Historic Dickson House
The house in its new location
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 22, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,072 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on July 22, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement