Tampa in Hillsborough County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Hillsborough River Ferry
— 1846~1888 —
Appointed by the County Commissioners, the first ferryman was Thomas Piper, 1846; followed by Benjamin J. Hagler, 1848; Gen. Jesse Carter, 1854; Domenico Ghira, 1864; Jesse J. Hayden 1869.
Erected 1977 by Hillsborough County Historical Commission.
Location. 27° 56.82′ N, 82° 27.624′ W. Marker is in Tampa, Florida, in Hillsborough County. Marker is on West Kennedy Boulevard (State Road 60) west of North Ashley Drive, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. The marker stands at the south entrance to Rivergate Tower in downtown Tampa, near the Kennedy Boulevard Bridge. Marker is at or near this postal address: 400 North Ashley Drive, Tampa FL 33602, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Gen. Robert E. Lee, C.S.A. (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Technology • Power • Diversity (about 400th Anniversary of the Landing of Panfilo de Narvaez (approx. 0.2 miles away); History in the Air (approx. 0.2 miles away); MacDill: 1950 to 2000 (approx. 0.2 miles away); Lt. Col. Frank S. Adamo, M.D. (approx. 0.2 miles away); The War Years (approx. 0.2 miles away); Today at MacDill AFB (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tampa.
More about this marker. The marker is capped with the heraldic old Seal of Hillsborough County, Florida, which has since been retired and replaced with a non-heraldic seal.
Regarding Hillsborough River Ferry. The actual location of the ferry dock would have been one block south at the end of Jackson Street, upon which now stands a hotel.
Additional keywords. Rivergate Tower
Categories. • Bridges & Viaducts • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 31, 2010, by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. This page has been viewed 904 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. submitted on July 31, 2010, by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.