Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Tampa in Hillsborough County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

The Spanish Fort

 
 
The Spanish Fort Marker image. Click for full size.
By AGS Media, July 31, 2010
1. The Spanish Fort Marker
Regarding "The indentation on the barrel of one of the 24 pounders..." the marker is incorrect. See caption under the photo of the cannon below.
Inscription. In 1891 upon the completion of the Tampa Bay Hotel, Henry B. Plant recovered two Civil War cannon from across the Hillsborough River at the site of Old Fort Brooke. With his landscape architect Anton Fiehe, Mr. Plant placed the cannon over a limestone wall near here as a garden folly called The Spanish Fort.

These 24 pound shot size cannon were part of a battery of three placed in Fort Brooke during the War Between the States. They and two 6 pound shot size rifled cannon successfully defended Tampa until May 5, 1864. On that date, federal troops, composed of elements of the 2nd U.S. Colored Regiment, the 2nd Florida Cavalry and the U.S. Navy, captured the town and fort by surprise. The 24 pounders were disabled by breaking off a trunnion and destroying their barbette carriages. The indentation on the barrel of one of the 24 pounders indicates that a 6 pounder was fired point blank at its barrel. The 6 pounders were then taken to Key West.

The cannon's naval mounts were designed and funded by the Fort Brooke Commission. This historical recreation of the garden folly was a project of the Friends of Plant Park in 2008. This sign is placed on pieces of limestone salvaged from the original wall.
 
Erected by Friends of Plant Park
City of Tampa
Hillsborough County Commission
Fort
The Spanish Fort Marker image. Click for full size.
By AGS Media, July 31, 2010
2. The Spanish Fort Marker
Behind the marker, one of the Fort Brooke cannon extend over the reconstructed "Spanish Fort".
Brooke Commission
The University of Tampa.
 
Location. 27° 56.818′ N, 82° 27.785′ W. Marker is in Tampa, Florida, in Hillsborough County. Marker can be reached from University Drive north of West Kennedy Boulevard (State Road 60), on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. The marker is located within Plant Park, between the Hillsborough River and the former Tampa Bay Hotel, now the Henry B. Plant Museum and the University of Tampa's Plant Hall (a National Historic Landmark). Marker is at or near this postal address: 201 West Kennedy Boulevard, Tampa FL 33606, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fort Brooke Battery (a few steps from this marker); 400th Anniversary of the Landing of Panfilo de Narvaez (within shouting distance of this marker); Tampa Bay Hotel (within shouting distance of this marker); Tampa Bay Hotel, 1891 (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); De Soto (about 400 feet away); a different marker also named Tampa Bay Hotel (about 400 feet away); Old Schoolhouse (about 700 feet away); Gen. Robert E. Lee, C.S.A. (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tampa.
 
More about this marker. The marker is mounted on a piece of limestone which sits on the ground in front
The Spanish Fort Marker image. Click for full size.
By AGS Media, July 31, 2010
3. The Spanish Fort Marker
Here again, with cannon and "fort" in the background
of a small rock wall. Cannon are placed over the wall on either side of the marker.
 
Categories. African AmericansWar, US Civil
 
Behind the "Spanish Fort" image. Click for full size.
By AGS Media, July 31, 2010
4. Behind the "Spanish Fort"
Cannon aimed towards downtown Tampa
24-pdr Model 1819 Siege Gun image. Click for full size.
By AGS Media, July 31, 2010
5. 24-pdr Model 1819 Siege Gun
The cannon is one of several made in the 1830s for Army use. Contrary to what the marker states, the indentation on the muzzle is a "scar" left behind when Army officers tested the metal in the 1850s.
Towering in the background is one of Plant Hall's silver minarets.
American Flag over the "Spanish Fort" image. Click for full size.
By AGS Media, July 31, 2010
6. American Flag over the "Spanish Fort"
Below the U.S. flag are the flags of the University of Tampa and the State of Florida (left to right).
Henry B. Plant Park - circa 1891 image. Click for full size.
By AGS Media, July 31, 2010
7. Henry B. Plant Park - circa 1891
The park is home to the Spanish Fort marker. This sign stands at a park entrance along Kennedy Boulevard.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 6, 2010, by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. This page has been viewed 1,017 times since then and 77 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on August 6, 2010, by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement