Goliad in Goliad County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The Hanging Tree
Hangings not called for by regular courts occurred here during the 1857 "Cart War" -- a series of attacks made by Texas freighters against Mexican drivers along the Indianola - Goliad - San Antonio Road. About 70 men were killed, some of them on this tree, before the war was halted by Texas Rangers.
Erected 1964 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 2360.)
Location. 28° 39.973′ N, 97° 23.518′ W. Marker is in Goliad, Texas, in Goliad County. Marker is on North Courthouse Square, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. On courthouse grounds between South Commercial Street and South Market Street. Marker is at or near this postal address: 108 North Courthouse Square, Goliad TX 77963, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Goliad Tornado of 1902 (a few steps from this marker); Santa Anna's Surrender Ratified (within shouting distance of this marker); Regulators of Goliad County (within shouting distance Don Rafael Antonio Manchola (within shouting distance of this marker); Goliad (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Judge James Arthur White and the Civilian Conservation Corps at Goliad State Park (approx. 0.7 miles away); Mission Nuestra Senora Del Espiritu Santo De Zuniga (approx. 0.7 miles away); Site of the Mission Nuestra Señora del Espiritu Santo de Zúñiga (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Goliad.
Also see . . . The Cart War Oak. A giant live oak was the site of the court sessions. Its huge horizontal limbs served as a ready-made gallows for the swift conduct of capital sentences passed by those early courts. A number of the cart-cutting outlaws alternately cursed and prayed as they left this world at the end of the hangman's knotted rope. (Submitted on August 9, 2010.)
Additional keywords. Cart War
Categories. • Notable Events • Notable Places •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 6, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,240 times since then and 38 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 6, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. 3. submitted on November 12, 2012, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.