Near Farmington in Fayette County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The National Road
Work started in 1811. While a privately funded road connected Baltimore with Cumberland, Maryland, this first federally funded highway tied Cumberland to Wheeling, Virginia, in 1818. By 1839 the road stretched more than 600 miles to Vandalia, Illinois. Although railroads eventually displaced it, the National Road's success set the stage for today's national highway system.
Erected by Fort Necessity National Battlefield, National Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior.
Marker series. This marker is included in the The Historic National Road marker series.
Location. 39° 49.076′ N, 79° 35.251′ W. Marker is near Farmington, Pennsylvania, in Fayette County. Marker can be reached from National Pike (U.S. 40) west of the entrance to Fort Necessity Battlefield, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is on the grounds of the Mount
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Mount Washington Tavern (here, next to this marker); Fort Necessity (a few steps from this marker); The Great Meadows (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named Fort Necessity (approx. ¼ mile away); The Great Meadows Campaign (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Farmington.
Also see . . . The National Road. (Submitted on May 8, 2006.)
Categories. • Roads & Vehicles •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 8, 2006, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 1,661 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 8, 2006, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. 4. submitted on March 31, 2008, by Christopher Light of Valparaiso, Indiana.