Near Hill City in Pennington County, South Dakota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Up the creek a short distance was the intake of a 17 mile flume, built of lumber milled on the job from the adjacent forest. It went down Spring Creek and took water to the Rockerville placer operations 10 miles away, from 1881 to 1884, where over half a million in gold was recovered. James Redpath was first postmaster on October 22, 1877 and Ernest Barthold, the last, on June 13, 1913.
The dam creating Sheridan Lake submerged its remains in 1942.
Erected 1958 by William & Clark Williamson and State Highway Commission
Location. 43° 58.075′ N, 103° 29.092′ W. Marker is near Hill City, South Dakota, in Pennington County. Marker is on U.S. 385 0.3 miles north of Calumet Road, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. The marker is at a Highway 385 pull-off next to Sheridan Lake. Marker is in this post office area: Hill City SD 57745, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Civilian Conservation Corps Camp (approx. 2.4 miles away); The Black Hills Central Railroad (approx. 5 miles away); Hill City (approx. 5.3 miles away); Gutzon Borglum (approx. 6 miles away); Theodore Roosevelt (approx. 6.3 miles away); George Washington (approx. 6.3 miles away); Abraham Lincoln (approx. 6.3 miles away); The Power to Carve a Mountain (approx. 6.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hill City.
Categories. • Man-Made Features • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 10, 2010, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 997 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 10, 2010, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.