Near Goliad in Goliad County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Established as a mission in 1749. Became a strategic fort under Spanish, Mexican, Texas occupancy, 1810-1821, 1835-1836. Name changed to Goliad and created a Mexican municipality in 1829. Scene of massacre of Fannin and his command in 1836.
Organized as a county, 1836, with town of Goliad as the county seat.
Home of Confederate General Hamilton P. Bee. From population of 3,384 county seat sent several army companies to the Civil War.
Erected 1936 by State of Texas. (Marker Number 2203.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Texas 1936 Centennial Markers and Monuments marker series.
Location. 28° 38.727′ N, 97° 26.404′ W. Marker is near Goliad, Texas, in Goliad County. Marker is on U.S. 59, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. 4 miles west of Goliad. Marker is in this post office area: Goliad TX 77963, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Mission Rosario (about 800 feet away, measured in a direct line); Site of Mission Nuestra Señora del Rosario (about 800 Santa Anna's Surrender Ratified (approx. 3.2 miles away); The Hanging Tree (approx. 3.3 miles away); Goliad Tornado of 1902 (approx. 3.3 miles away); Don Rafael Antonio Manchola (approx. 3.3 miles away); Regulators of Goliad County (approx. 3.3 miles away); Mission Nuestra Senora Del Espiritu Santo De Zuniga (approx. 3.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Goliad.
Categories. • War, Texas Independence • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 11, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. This page has been viewed 901 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 11, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.