Barnegat Light in Ocean County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
First Lighted January 1, 1859.
The present lighthouse replaced an earlier lighthouse built in 1834. The height of the light above sea level is 165 feet. Barnegat Lighthouse was built as a 1st order light, and was originally equipped with a Fresnel lens.
Ownership of the lighthouse was transferred to the State of New Jersey in 1926. The light was extinguished on January 1, 1944. Barnegat Lighthouse was placed on the New Jersey State Register of Historic Places on January 25, 1971.
Erected by New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection, Division of Parks and Forestry.
Location. 39° 45.856′ N, 74° 6.364′ W. Marker is in Barnegat Light, New Jersey, in Ocean County. Marker can be reached from Broadway, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is located in the Barnegat Lighthouse State Park. Marker is in this post office area: Barnegat Light NJ 08006, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Maj. Gen. George Gordon Meade (here, next to this marker); Vigilant Guardian (within shouting distance of this marker); U.S. Merchant Marine WW II Memorial (within Old Salty Survivors (within shouting distance of this marker); Maritime Forest Trail (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Maritime Sentinels (about 300 feet away); Massacre at Long Beach (about 400 feet away); How Much Water Flows Through Barnegat Inlet (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Barnegat Light.
Also see . . .
1. A History of the Barnegat Lighthouse. Long Beach Island, NJ website. (Submitted on August 20, 2010, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
2. Barnegat Lighthouse State Park. New Jersey Division of Parks & Forestry website. (Submitted on August 20, 2010, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
Categories. • Man-Made Features •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 20, 2010, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 703 times since then and 44 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 20, 2010, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.