Strasburg in Shenandoah County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Saint Paulís Lutheran Church
oldest, organized by German settlers (c.1747)
who first worshiped in log building just west
of this site. Parish records date from 1769.
Strasburg's first school conducted by the
congregation and its schoolmaster, Simon Harr,
from 1776 to 1815.
During the war between the states the brick
building erected on this site in 1844 was
used by Federal troops as a hospital, arsenal,
and stable, the bell tower and facade were
completed in 1893.
The Lucy Ludwig Class
Location. 38° 59.452′ N, 78° 21.76′ W. Marker is in Strasburg, Virginia, in Shenandoah County. Marker is at the intersection of West Washington Street and North Fort Street, on the right when traveling west on West Washington Street. Touch for map. Located in front of the Lutheran Church. Marker is at or near this postal address: 156 West Washington Street, Strasburg VA 22657, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Historic Strasburg (a few steps from this marker); Stonewallís Surprise (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also Historic Strasburg (about 700 feet away); a different marker also named Historic Strasburg (approx. 0.2 miles away); This Fertile Land (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named Historic Strasburg (approx. 0.2 miles away); Signal Knob (approx. 0.3 miles away); Banksí Fort (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Strasburg.
Also see . . . History of Saint Paul's Church. (Submitted on November 11, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 11, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,523 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 11, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. 3, 4. submitted on May 29, 2014, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. 5. submitted on November 11, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.