High Point in Guilford County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
The Plank Road
To commemorate the Plank Roadís significance in High Pointís history, this miniature model of the original has been constructed precisely to scale. The planks represent monetary gifts to the High Point Historical Society Plank Road funds given by or in honor of the persons whose names are inscribed. This replica was established in 1981.
Location. 35° 58.795′ N, 79° 59.526′ W. Marker is in High Point, North Carolina, in Guilford County. Marker can be reached from McGuinn Drive, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is located adjacent to the High Point Museum. Marker is in this post office area: High Point NC 27262, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Blacksmith Shop (within shouting distance of this marker); The Hoggat House (within shouting Oldest Building in High Point (within shouting distance of this marker); The Haley House (within shouting distance of this marker); Oldest Colonial Trail (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Haley House (within shouting distance of this marker); Little Red Schoolhouse (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); High Point University (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in High Point.
Also see . . . April 1854 -- The Fayetteville and Western Plank Road. This Month in NC History, from the University of North Carolina website. (Submitted on September 2, 2010, by Paul Jordan of Burlington, N. C., U. S. A..)
Categories. • Roads & Vehicles •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 26, 2010, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 556 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 26, 2010, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.