Norfolk, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Tazewell declined Henry Clay's invitation to serve as running mate in Clay's unsuccessful bid for President in 1828 and President Andrew Jackson' s offer of a post as Secretary of War or Minister to Great Britain. He received 39 votes from the Electoral College in the 1836 presidential election, even though he was not a candidate. That Littleton Waller Tazewell' s reputation was not more lasting is attributed to his distaste for politics and dislikes of being separated from home and family.
Tazewell home was moved to Norfolk's Edgewater neighborhood around 1900. It is on the National Register of Historic Places.
Erected by City of Norfolk.
Location. 36° 50.955′ N, 76° 17.474′ W. Marker is in Norfolk, Virginia. Marker Touch for map. Marker is on side of Tazewell Hotel facing W. Tazewell St. Marker is at or near this postal address: 114 W Tazewell St, Norfolk VA 23510, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Norfolk College for Young Ladies (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Tripoli Street (about 400 feet away); Monticello Hotel, 1898 (about 400 feet away); Margaret Douglass (about 500 feet away); Town Back Creek and Stone Bridge (about 500 feet away); Epworth United Methodist Church, 1894 (approx. 0.2 miles away); Battleship Wisconsin: Quad 40 Mount (approx. 0.2 miles away); Old City Hall and Courthouse, 1850 (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Norfolk.
Also see . . .
1. Wikipedia Littleton Waller Tazewell. Littleton Waller Tazewell (December 17, 1774– May 6, 1860) was a U.S. Representative, U.S. Senator from and the 26th Governor of Virginia. (Submitted on August 30, 2010, by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa.)
2. Littleton Waller Tazewell - Biographical Directory of the United States Congress. (Submitted on September 5, 2010, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings • Notable Persons •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 30, 2010, by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa. This page has been viewed 577 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 30, 2010, by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.