Madison in Dane County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Body 131 Feet Wingspread 624 Feet
Marked by the Wisconsin Archeological Society
July 30, 1910
Erected 1910 by the Wisconsin Archeological Society.
Location. 43° 7.781′ N, 89° 23.851′ W. Marker is in Madison, Wisconsin, in Dane County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Cinder Lane and Muir Drive. Touch for map. The marker is behind the cottages at the end of the drive that is the first left hand turn off Cinder Lane on the grounds of the Mendota Mental Health Institute. Marker is in this post office area: Madison WI 53704, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Warner Park (approx. 1.2 miles away); Robert M. La Follette Home (approx. 1.6 miles away); Bird Effigy Mound (approx. 2.4 miles away); Burrows Park (approx. 2.4 miles away); Tenney Park Lock and Dam (approx. 2.8 miles away); Sherman Avenue Crossing (approx. 2.8 miles away); Tenney Park (approx. 2.9 miles away); a different marker also named Tenney Park (approx. 3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Madison.
Regarding Eagle Effigy. According to a 1996
"The second group, called the Farwell's Point Group, is west of the first on a point of land 70 feet above lake level. Among these mounds are a dozen large and small conicals, the tallest of which is ten feet high. Traces of two linears, parts of two panthers, a bird and an undefined effigy also remain. Other mounds, including several conicals, linears, a bird, a goose, a bear and a possible dragonfly effigy were destroyed by construction of the state hospital buildings and roads. The mounds here were probably built over a 1000 year period. The large conicals are believed to have been built during the Middle Woodland stage, while the effigies
"Archeologists have also found Native American village sites and traces of ancient corn hills on the Hospital grounds. The panoramic view of Lake Mendota and its shores from this point is one of the best anywhere on the lake.
"To view these two groups, check in first at the Administration Building. From Troy Drive, take the main road into the hospital grounds; the Administration Building is the first building on the right.
"After checking in, continue along the Main Drive to the first intersection and turn left. The panther with the curved tail is in a clearing on the right. Further along this road, take the next left, which will lead to a parking lot. The Mendota State Hospital Group covers a large section of ground both behind and in front of these buildings. The old Victorian fence posts mark the main formal axis of the original hospital grounds. They were taken from the grounds of the State Capitol when the current capitol building was constructed.
"The Farwell's Point group is further to the west. Follow the main drive westward until it forms a T-intersection with Memorial Drive. Turn left on Memorial Drive and follow the main loop around to the north. The mounds are clearly visible on both sides of the road."
Also see . . . Madison is an Indian mound capital (Submitted on September 1, 2010, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin.)
Categories. • Native Americans •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 31, 2010, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 1,207 times since then and 43 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on August 31, 2010, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14. submitted on September 2, 2010, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. 15. submitted on September 6, 2010, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. 16. submitted on August 31, 2010, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.