West Lafayette in Tippecanoe County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
History - Main Street Bridge
—Lafayette -and- West Lafayette —
First Bridge at this site a three span wooden toll bridge erected in 1865. Purchased by Tippecanoe County in 1871.
Second Bridge, a steel three span bridge erected in 1889. Rendered useless by the flood of March 18, 1913. Low water elevation 1913 501.17 High water elevation march 30, 1913 531.57 33.30 ft. of water.
Lafayette Engineering Co. Wallace Marshall President & Chief Engineer
J. W. Jamison Superintendent
C. M. Guepel Assistant Engineer
Designing Engineer Wallace Marshall
Board of Superintending Engineers
W. K. Hatt Chairman
Everett B. Vawter
G. E. Halstead Res. Engr.
Location. 40° 25.224′ N, 86° 53.971′ W. Marker is in West Lafayette, Indiana, in Tippecanoe County. Marker is on Tapawingo Drive north of State Road 26, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Located on Tapawingo Drive on the West Lafayette side of the Wabash River and now called "John T. Myers Pedestrian Bridge" leading to Lafayette - behind the "Big Four Depot". Marker is in this post office area: West Lafayette IN 47906, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. John T. Myers (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Iraq War Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Big Four Depot (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Purple Heart Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); John Purdue Block (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Tippecanoe County Courthouse (approx. 0.3 miles away); To Commemorate The Wabash and Erie Canal (approx. 0.3 miles away); Earl & Hatcher Block (approx. 0.3 miles away).
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. John T. Myers - Main Street Bridge
Categories. • Bridges & Viaducts • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 2, 2010, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. This page has been viewed 922 times since then and 34 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on September 2, 2010, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.