Prairie Grove in Washington County, Arkansas — The American South (West South Central)
General Shaver's Headquarters
Gen. Robt. G. Shaver
established his head-
Dec. 7, 1862
This spot marked by
June 20, 1932.
Erected 1932 by United Daughters of the Confederacy.
Marker series. This marker is included in the United Daughters of the Confederacy marker series.
Location. 35° 59.017′ N, 94° 18.64′ W. Marker is in Prairie Grove, Arkansas, in Washington County. Marker is at the intersection of South Battlefield Park Road (County Route 80) and East Douglas Street (U.S. 62), on the right when traveling north on South Battlefield Park Road. Touch for map. Located at the parking lot for the Prairie Grove Battlefield State Park. Marker is in this post office area: Prairie Grove AR 72753, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Blunt's Attack (a few steps from this marker); March of the Armies (within shouting distance of this marker); Battle of Prairie Grove (within shouting distance of this marker); Hindman Hall Museum (within shouting distance of this marker); Major General Thomas C. Hindman Rhea's Mill (within shouting distance of this marker); Generals James G. Blunt and Francis J. Herron (within shouting distance of this marker); Battlefield Park (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Prairie Grove.
Also see . . .
1. Prairie Grove Battlefield State Park. (Submitted on September 6, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
2. General Robert Shaver. Shaver was actually a Colonel at the battle of Prairie Grove, commanding a regiment. Later in the war his command was among the last to surrender. Post war Shaver was active in the Ku Klux Klan and eventually fled the state fearing prosecution from the reconstruction era government. Post-reconstruction he returned and became active in the state militia, gaining the rank of General in that organization. (Submitted on September 6, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
1. Monument Location
This monument is likely east of the actual headquarters site. Shaver's brigade was located to the west of Fayetteville Road (modern day Battlefield Road) during the battle. The location is outside the park property.
— Submitted September 7, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 6, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 978 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 6, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.