Tuscaloosa in Tuscaloosa County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Gun from the U.S.S. Tuscaloosa
5 inch / 25 caliber
“Dual Purpose” secondary artillery gun
The U.S.S. Tuscaloosa was equipped with eight such guns, located in single turrets, four on either side of the ship. Developed in the 1920’s, its purpose was for both antiaircraft and surface fire. The gun weighed 4,720 lbs and was served by a crew of eight men. It was capable of firing a 54 lb shell out to a range of 14,500 yards.
Location. 33° 11.602′ N, 87° 31.536′ W. Marker is in Tuscaloosa, Alabama, in Tuscaloosa County. Marker is on McFarland Boulevard East (U.S. 82), on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is located in the Tuscaloosa County Veterans Memorial park, located in front of University Mall. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1701 McFarland Boulevard East, Tuscaloosa AL 35404, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Willys Jeep (a few steps from this marker); U.S.S. Tuscaloosa (CA 37) (a few steps from this marker); Tuscaloosa County Veterans Memorial (a few steps from this marker); French 75 Millimeter Feldhase (within shouting distance of this marker); Vought A-7E Corsair II Replica Gates for Northington General Hospital (within shouting distance of this marker); M60A3 TTS Medium Tank (within shouting distance of this marker); Bell UH-1 Iroquois (Huey) (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tuscaloosa.
Also see . . . USS Tuscaloosa's Guns. (Submitted on September 9, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama.)
Categories. • Military • War, World II • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 9, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. This page has been viewed 968 times since then and 32 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 9, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.