Frankfort in Franklin County, Kentucky — The American South (East South Central)
John Hampton House / Early Stone House
John Hampton House
Earliest surviving stone house in city. Built before 1840, it is constructed of patterned river limestone with jack arches over windows and doors. The builder, John Hampton, was a tavern owner and operator in the county by 1818. His licenses extended into the 1820s. Several members of his family owned and operated his taverns.
Early Stone House
This house, built by John Hampton, was later the home of Col. Mason H. P. Williams, Franklin County sheriff. He entertained Judge John M. Elliott of Ky. Court of Appeals in this house the night before the judge's assassination across the street at the Capital Hotel, March 26, 1879. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Erected 1981 by Presented by Mrs. Fred W. Burch. (Marker Number 1688.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Kentucky Historical Society marker series.
Location. 38° 11.857′ N, 84° 52.484′ W. Marker is in Frankfort, Kentucky, in Franklin County. Marker is on W. Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 101 W. Main Street, Frankfort KY 40601, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Early Tunnel in Kentucky (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Frankfort Union Station (about 300 feet away); Paul Sawyier Boyhood Home (about 400 feet away); Capt. Daniel Weisiger III / Weisiger House (about 400 feet away); Lewis and Clark in Kentucky / William Clark in Frankfort (about 500 feet away); Hiram Lodge No. 4 F. & A.M. (about 500 feet away); First Christian Church (about 500 feet away); State Arsenal (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Frankfort.
Categories. • Notable Buildings • Notable Persons •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 11, 2010, by Matt Carter of Lexington, Kentucky. This page has been viewed 1,103 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 11, 2010, by Matt Carter of Lexington, Kentucky. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.