Rockmart in Polk County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Old Van Wert Polk County
Polk County was organized in 1851 from parts of Floyd and Paulding; this placed Van Wert in Polk Co.; Dallas became the county seat of Paulding -- Cedartown, that of Polk.
May 25, 1864. Davis, (2d) div., 14th A.C. [US], having camped the night before at Peek’s Spring, 4.5 mi. N., turned E. here and marched to Dallas in Paulding County.
Erected 1978 by Georgia Department of Natural Resources. (Marker Number 115-5.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 33° 59.455′ N, 85° 2.496′ W. Marker is in Rockmart, Georgia, in Polk County. Marker is at the intersection of South Piedmont Avenue (Georgia Route 113) and Springdale Road, on the right when traveling south on South Piedmont Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Rockmart GA 30153, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Logan’s 15th Corps at Swaintown (approx. 3.5 miles away); Davis & Dodge at Peek’s Spring Army of the Tenn. To Dallas (approx. 5.7 miles away); McPherson’s March to Dallas (approx. 6 miles away but has been reported missing); Taylorsville High School (approx. 7.6 miles away); 20th Corps Detours to New Hope Church (approx. 10.4 miles away); The Army of the Cumberland at Stilesboro (approx. 10.6 miles away); Army of the Tenn. At Dallas (approx. 10.7 miles away).
More about this marker. This marker replaced an earlier marker of the same title and text erected by the Georgia Historical Commission at this location.
Categories. • Political Subdivisions • Politics • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 15, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 819 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 15, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.