Near Amelia Court House in Amelia County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
John Banister Tabb
Father John Bannister Tabb was born in Amelia County in 1845 at “The Forest”, the Tabb family plantation. A member of one of wealthiest families in Virginia, he was carefully schooled by private tutors until the age of 14, when his eyesight became to poor to read. In spite of his poor eyesight, shortly after the Civil War broke out he enlisted in the Confederate Navy and served aboard the blockade runner Robert E. Lee.
Tabb was captured in 1864 and spent nine months in the prison camp at Point Lookout Maryland. In February 1865 he was released in a prisoner exchange and returned home. In April he joined the 59th Virginia Infantry, which was commanded by his brother, Colonel William Barksdale Tabb. On April 9, 1865, when General Robert E. Lee surrendered at Appomattox Court House, Private John B. Tabb was paroled and returned home.
In the years following the Civil War, Tabb developed a reputation in American and European literary circles as one of the South’s finest poets. Religion and nature were two of his favorite subjects and his verse ranged from frivolous to serious. Five volumes of his poems were published during his lifetime and many appeared in well-known periodicals of the day, such as Harpers, Cosmopolitan and The Atlantic.
After the war, Tabb moved to Baltimore to study music. Unfortunately, financial difficulties soon
Erected 2007 by Virginia Department of Conservation & Recreation.
Location. 37° 25.978′ N, 77° 57.418′ W. Marker is near Amelia Court House, Virginia, in Amelia County. Marker is on Grubb Hill Church Road (Virginia Route 609) 0.4 miles north of Ruffin Lane (Virginia Route 716), on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Amelia Court House VA 23002, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Ewell Crosses the Appomattox (approx. 5.6 miles away); Amelia Court House (approx. 6.4 miles away); Lamkin’s Battery (approx. 6.4 miles away); William Branch Giles (approx. 6½ miles away); Marion Harland (approx. 6½ miles away); Mrs. Samantha Jane Neil Lee's Retreat (approx. 6½ miles away); Russell Grove Presbyterian Church and School (approx. 7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Amelia Court House.
Also see . . . The Tabb Monument. Virginia Department of Conservation & Recreation (Submitted on September 20, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.)
1. Text of Dedication Excercises Sign (Photo No. 2)
of the marker erected
to the memory of
John Banister Tabb
At “The Forest” Amelia County, Va.
Saturday, November 7, 1936
At 2 P.M.
• Dr. John M. Cooney, Head Department of Journalism Notre Dame University and President of “The Forest” Memorial Association.
• Dr. Lewis H. Taylor, of “Dykeland” Amelia County, Virginia and Washington, D.C.
• Dr. John A. Kelliher, Rector of St. Peters, Richmond
Hon. Wilber C. Hall, Chairman of the State Commission of Conservation and Development.
• Hon. George C. Peery, Governor of Virginia
This marker was erected in the summer of 1936, through the efforts of “The Forest” Memorial Association
The one acre of land upon which it stands was donated by Mr. Ephriam Anderson of Amelia County, who has deeded it to the State Commission on Conservation and Development.
The Amelia Garden Club has undertaken the beautifying of the grounds.
Note – “The Forest” is in Amelia County, Virginia, about seven miles north of the Courthouse, on County road No. 609.
To reach it from Richmond, use U.S. No. 360 and a C.C.C. Camp will be noticed on the left about 35 miles from Richmond. About three fourths of a mile beyond this camp, county road No. 609 crosses the rail road tracks to the right, follow this road to marker.
— Submitted July 23, 2011.
Categories. • Arts, Letters, Music • Churches & Religion • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 20, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,086 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on September 20, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.