Augusta in Richmond County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
The Augusta Canal
The 1848 granite block building at the canal end of this complex is a former flour mill and the only remaining industrial structure which was built on the original 1845 Augusta Canal.
After enormous public investment to enlarge the canal in 1875, local residents became worried when two years passed and only one additional mill had opened, a small one at that.
However, the importance of the Augusta Canal to local industry and the economy became evident with the construction of the Enterprise Mill in 1877. Built and continuously operated as a textile mill into the 1980's, it was the first large scale mill to use the increased water power created by the enlargement of the canal. Huge turbines within the bowels of the complex continue to generate electricity from hydropower, even though operations ceased years ago.
The Enterprise Mill is one of the best preserved examples of the Second Empire style in American industrial arichitecture, with its characteristic convex-curved Mansard tower roofs.
With success of the Enterprise Mill, seven other cotton mills followed in the next decade, enabling the city to be ranked top producer of textile goods
(Carving text) Built- 1845
Enlarged - 1875
from Stevens Creek Dam east to 7th St.
Erected by Augusta Canal Authority, National Park Service, Funding by Searle Augusta.
Location. 33° 28.721′ N, 81° 59.02′ W. Marker is in Augusta, Georgia, in Richmond County. Marker is on 15th Street (Bridge) near Greene Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Located at the Augusta Canal, north side. Marker is in this post office area: Augusta GA 30901, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Archibald Willingham Butt Memorial Bridge (within shouting distance of this marker); Dennis Cahill (within shouting distance of this marker); James Ryder Randall (approx. 0.4 miles away); Meadow Garden (approx. 0.4 miles away); George Walton (approx. 0.4 miles away); Curtis Baptist Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); a different marker also named Meadow Garden (approx. half a mile away); Confederate Powder Works (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Augusta.
Also see . . .
1. Enterprise Mill History Augusta GA. James L. Coleman first developed the Enterprise Mill in 1848 as a flour milling operation. Little documentation remains to substantiate events at Enterprise between in (Submitted on September 30, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
2. New Georgia Encyclopedia , Augusta Canal. In cooperation with Columbia County, buildings at the headgates had been restored by 2005. A trail named after the naturalist William Bartram parallels the canal. (Submitted on September 30, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 6, 2018. This page originally submitted on September 30, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 690 times since then and 31 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on September 30, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.