Mount Pleasant in Jefferson County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Mount Pleasant Historic Underground Railroad District
Historic Underground Railroad Site
The Free Labor Store/Benjamin Lundy Home was built in 1813. On the left side was the Free Labor Store, where nothing made or raised by slave labor was bought or sold. On the right side was the home where Lundy wrote "Genius of Universal Emancipation," which helped to establish him as one of the first really effective forces in the antislavery movement in the United States. The David Updegraff House, built in 1858, was the home of the noted Quaker minister and abolitionist. The Hogg Mansion, built in 1845, was owned by prominent businessman, John Hogg. Quaker Hill, built in 1807, was the home of educator and abolitionist George Jenkins. The Jonathan Binns House, built in 1858, was the home of the local banker and board member of the Free Produce Company.
Erected by The Friends of Freedom Society and Ohio Underground Railroad Association.
Location. 40° 10.523′ Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 328 Union Street, Mount Pleasant OH 43939, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Mount Pleasant Veterans Memorial (here, next to this marker); Elizabeth House Mansion (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Samuel Gill House (about 700 feet away); Quaker Meeting House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Benjamin Lundy Home / Free Labor Store (approx. 0.2 miles away); Birthplace of Moses Fleetwood Walker (approx. 0.2 miles away); Morgan's Raid (approx. 1.9 miles away); a different marker also named Morgan's Raid (approx. 3.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mount Pleasant.
More about this marker. The marker sits in front of the Mount Pleasant Historical Center.
Categories. • Abolition & Underground RR •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 1, 2010, by Jamie Abel of Westerville, Ohio. This page has been viewed 1,392 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 1, 2010, by Jamie Abel of Westerville, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.