Milledgeville in Baldwin County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
The Great Seal of Georgia
Again in 1868 Governor Charles J. Jenkins (Governor, 1865-1868) removed the Great Seal to thwart state fund payments which had been ordered by the United States military authority which inaugurated Georgia’s carpetbag regime. Federal General George Meade replaced Governor Jenkins with United States General Thomas H. Ruger of Wisconsin (who served only part of the year 1868), the last of the Milledgeville governors. With the return of home rule in 1872 the Great Seal was returned to the new capitol in Atlanta.
Erected 1960 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 005-20.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 33° 4.868′ N, 83° 13.743′ W. Marker is in Milledgeville, Georgia, in Baldwin County. Marker is at the intersection of North Wilkinson Street and West Hancock Street (Georgia Route 49), on the right when traveling south on North Wilkinson Street Touch for map. The marker stands on the lawn of the old Baldwin County Courthouse. Marker is in this post office area: Milledgeville GA 31061, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Allen Strain (within shouting distance of this marker); Baldwin County Veterans Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); De Soto in Georgia (within shouting distance of this marker); Birthplace of Charles Holmes Herty (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Dr Charles Holmes Herty Statesman -Chemist (about 300 feet away); Masonic Temple of Benevolent Lodge No 3, F. & A. M. (about 600 feet away); Tomlinson Fort House (about 700 feet away); The Milledgeville Hotel and Oliver Hardy (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Milledgeville.
Categories. • Government • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 1, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,071 times since then and 38 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 1, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.