Brookeville in Montgomery County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The following day, August 27th, the Secretary of State James Monroe joined the President here and they returned to the Capitol.
Erected by the Janet Montgomery Chapter, National Society Daughters of the American Revolution.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution marker series.
Location. 39° 10.916′ N, 77° 3.453′ W. Marker is in Brookeville, Maryland, in Montgomery County. Marker is on Market Street 0.1 miles east of North Street, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 205 Market Street, Brookeville MD 20833, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. In This House (here, next to this marker); Bentley House (a few steps from this marker); The Miller's Cottage (within shouting distance of this marker); Historic Brookeville (within shouting distance of this marker); Briggs House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Thomas House Site (about 300 feet away); Gassaway House (about 400 feet away); Brookeville Angel (about 600 feet away); August 26, 1814 (about 600 feet away); Brookeville (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Brookeville.
More about this marker. Marker is on the wall of the house, to the left of the front door.
Regarding Madison House. This house is a private residence. It is said to have been a stop in the Underground Railroad.
Also see . . . Pedaling from Oakley Cabin to the town of Brookeville. (Submitted on May 20, 2006.)
Categories. • Abolition & Underground RR • War of 1812 •
More. Search the internet for Madison House.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 22, 2019. This page originally submitted on May 20, 2006, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 3,667 times since then and 62 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 20, 2006, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.